Should You Switch to an Instagram Business Account?
As a solid part to any social media marketing strategy, the Instagram platform helps businesses connect to loyal customers and potential new ones. It’s a pretty straightforward deal, however on the backend, businesses have decisions to make on how to initially set up their Instagram account. It used to be an easy either/or choice between Business and Personal – somewhere along the way, Instagram also began offering a choice of Content Creator along with Business and Personal accounts.
From the front end (what other users see from your account posts/stories) people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between what account type you may have. Then, what is the purpose of choosing between the accounts, you might wonder.
What Are Your Choices and What Do They Include?
As mentioned above, there are three choices: Personal, Business and Content Creator. Here’s what each one offers:
Personal Account Type: Personal Instagram accounts don’t offer analytics or any insight that a business would find useful. This account type is recommended for those who simply want to use Instagram for social reasons or to browse content.
Business Account Type: This is the first type of professional account offered by Instagram. It lets the user have access to analytics of account performance including follower gain/loss. The most useful part for businesses, aside from analytics, is that this account type integrates with 3rd-party apps, like schedulers, more analytics, etc.
Content Creator Account Type: Not much difference from the Business account type, the Content Creator account also offers analytics and insight into growth and content performance. Unlike the Business Account, it lacks features like Call to Action buttons and does not integrate with Auto-publish schedulers or analytic apps.
Benefits of Making the Switch to a Business Account
As a business or brand, switching to a Business Instagram account allows you to make smarter decisions for content.
- The analytics allows you to see analytics and insight into which posts are performing well, what days and times your followers are most active, and your overall follower growth.
- To help maximize your Instagram marketing strategy, you’ll be able to integrate 3rd party apps, like Later, Planoly, Tailwind, Hootsuite, and Buffer; this will allow for consistency in posting and planning ahead, especially for campaigns.
- Having clear call-to-action buttons on your profile will encourage potential customer to reach out to you.
Business accounts also allow you to put ad dollars into boosting posts or creating an actual ad for Instagram.
Should You Choose a Business or Creator Instagram Account?
If the two professional account types are so similar, why did Instagram even create this second choice? From a quick glance, it might seem that the Creator account is pointless – what if we told you that the Creator account is limited to those accounts that have 10,000 or more followers only? Brands want to work with influencers who have a large following to make the most of their paid influencer campaigns. That being said, the most beneficial features of having a Creator account are:
- Being able to tag brand products directly in the posts – this means even more monetizing opportunities
- Having advanced DM filtering. You’d be able to prioritize brand requests in a separate tab so you don’t miss an opportunity
With Creator accounts, you can see more in-depth insight into your audience growth and decline. The inbox filtering also includes the additional ‘Requests’ tab, along with Primary and General. How awesome is that?! As an influencer who receives hundreds of messages weekly, it’s nice to be able to prioritize the importance of incoming DMs.
How to Change Your Personal Account to a Professional Instagram Account
If you already have a personal Instagram account that you want to turn into your business account, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram app on your device
- Go to settings
- Click on Account
- Click on “Switch to professional Account” at the bottom (blue link)
- Follow the steps to complete making the switch!